Some of you may remember my Grandma’s Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe and it’s one of my FAVORITES, but in an effort to ditch some pounds before the holidays… I’ve had to make a few tweaks <cough> remove the stick of butter and 3 cups of cream… <cough>
I also ditched the flour and tried a pureed cannellini bean substitute… this added the thickness and for the most part the beans took on the flavors of the sauce, but they are a bit stinky in the making process…
Oh yeah… I forgot to get Sherry while I was out, so I added whatever wine I had in the house 😉
All in all, Grandma’s recipe is by FAR superior… but this will settle when you’re looking for a healthier fix!
Original recipe is 1,400cals per serving, this is 730…
- 2LBs Brown Rice Pasta
- 2 Whole Chickens, shredded
- 8 cups Chicken Stock
- 1.5 LBs Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- 4 shallots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1cup Chardonnay
- 1cup Cabernet
- 8oz Cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
- 1 TBsp Crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 4oz grated parmesan (fresh!)
- In a Dutch Oven on Med heat, heat 1cup stock with shallots and mushrooms. Cook till mushrooms decrease in size fully ~45mins, stirring often. Then add pressed garlic.
- Meanwhile, puree beans in a food processor till creamy, set aside.
- Once mushrooms are fully cooked and tender, remove and set aside.
- In the same dutch oven, add remaining stock, both wines, nutmeg and salt-n-pep (you can also add some fresh Italian herbs here if you would like) Let the flavors meld together for 1 hour then slowly stir in the pureed beans.
- Turn heat to low and this can cook and thicken 4-6hours, the longer the better. Taste test every hour and add salt/seasonings/wine etc as necessary.
- Cook pasta, drain and set aside.
- Shred chicken, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Ladle out 2 cups broth (set aside), then stir in mushroom mixture, chicken and cooked pasta.
- Pour in large casserole dish, cover and cook for 45mins.
- Last 15 mins, remove lid and sprinkle Parm on top.
- Serve with extra sauce on the side!
- Bon Appétit!!