I made this a few weeks ago, and now I’m salivating over the photo (and It doesn’t even do full justice!) This recipe is from my Grandmother on my Mother’s Side, a staple in their home growing up. She makes allllll the broth from scratch with 2-3 whole chickens, cooked in water with tons of veggies… I don’t have that time (or energy for the matter) so I cheated, Sandra-Lee Style, and bought Rotisserie Chickens…
I made this for a large group of friends, and the recipe does make a lot! I also used the chicken drippings as part of the sauce, adds TONS of flavor, but if you’re watching the fat… you might want to omit this😉
You’re doing a few things at once, so make sure you have some counter space and you keep an eye on everything. Wine helped me… tee hee
- 2LBs pasta (long pasta like linguine, spaghetti etc)
- 2 whole chickens
- ~6 cups chicken broth
- 1LB Mushrooms (I used 2 bc I❤ mushrooms)
- 9TB butter
- +6TB flour
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 9TB Sherry
- Nutmeg (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter a 9×13 casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter, and chicken juices. When they are ready, take it off the heat and set aside.
- Heat a large pot of water boiling for the pasta, and cook al dente.
- In a Medium saucepan, melt down 9TB butter. Stir the flour into the butter to thicken, and wisk in the chicken broth. Cook this until thick so add more flour if needed.
- Then add in the heavy cream and sherry, add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste, then keep on low heat for 10 mins.
- Somehow during/throughout this.. pull the chicken off the bone and put in a large bowl, bite-sized chunks. (I tossed the skin)
- Toss your cooked pasta with the mushrooms, chicken and half the sauce mixture.
- Pour into a buttered dish, sprinkle with parm and add more sauce if needed.
- Cook for 45 mins and serve with extra sauce on the side!
- Bon Appétit!!