Mom made this for us last week and reminded me what an awesome staple this is!
So easy to make and sooo tasty! Thanks Mom! 🙂
I used Hot sausage, added a larger amount of basil & oregano and low-sodium broth.
- 1 LB Italian Sausage
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 3-4 carrots, diced
- 1 red or orange pepper, diced
- 12-16oz can small diced tomatoes
- 8oz tomato sauce
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1tsp dried basil
- 1tsp dried oregano
1. Crumble Sausage and brown. Add chopped onion and peppers till soft. Drain off fat.
2. Add rest of ingredients except tortellini and simmer for about 30-45 mins.
3. Stir in tortellini and cook until done.
4. Serve with parmesan cheese.
– Play around with the veggies and larger quantity of spices
– Mom says to not add the tortellini too early because they can get mushy and soggy – that’s OK but it becomes more stew-like than soup