I’ve always wanted to make Homemade Baklava but thought it might be difficult… BOY was I wrong!
This was really fun to make (very easy, just be patient!) and the only other thing I will say is… HOLY butter 😉
- 16oz Phyllo Pastry Dough (1 roll – 14×18)
- 1 LB chopped nuts; I used 3/4 Walnuts, 1/4 Pecans
- +1 cup melted butter
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 heaping TBsp Brown Sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6oz Honey (I got a bit carried away with 8)
- Preheat oven to 350F and generously butter the bottom and sides of a 9×13 glass pan.
- In a food processor, chop all nuts, add cinnamon and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Unroll thawed phyllo dough. Cut the whole stack in half to fit pan (a pizza cutter works great) Cover phyllo with a dampened cloth to keep from drying out as you work.
- Place two sheets of dough in pan, butter thoroughly. Repeat 2 sheets at a time, until you have 8 sheets layered. Then sprinkle nut mixture, Top with two sheets of dough, butter, nuts, layering as you go. The top layer should be about 6 – 8 sheets deep. (don’t worry about getting exactly 2 sheets or if they tear, do your best!)
- Using a sharp knife cut into diamond shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan. You may cut into 4 long rows the make diagonal cuts. Bake for about 50 minutes until baklava is golden and crisp.
- When the Baklava is on the last 20 mins, start making the sugar-sauce.
- In a small saucepan, Boil sugar and water until sugar is melted. Add vanilla and honey. Simmer for about 20 minutes. This is also a good time to add a liqueur if desired – Amaretto, Cointreau… Just pull the sauce off heat and then add, right before pouring over Baklava.
- Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon/pour sauce over it. Let cool. This freezes very well. Leave it uncovered as it gets soggy if it is wrapped up.
- Bon Appetit!! 😀