These are one of Margaret’s favorites. SO easy to make and are just a BURST of flavor in your mouth. They taste extremely gourmet without all the ritzy ingredients or hours of your day.
This is the second time I’ve made these so I know they’re a hit. I also always have extra filling leftover which is a great dip with crackers. my mouth is watering…..
2 (10 oz) package baby bella mushrooms
1 (8oz) package cream cheese
1 (8 oz) package hot sausage (I use more)
1 med onion
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt-n-pep to taste
1/4 cup butter, melted (opt)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Separate caps and stems while cleaning mushrooms. Let them drain on paper towel a bit.
- Chop onions and saute with sausage and spices (add 1 TBsp butter here opt)
- Mince mushroom stems and add to sausage just before sausage is fully cooked.
- Drain grease (if any) then add cream cheese to pan and put heat low. Mix everything really well then add breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Set caps in a 13×9 pan and fill pan with chicken stock (or water) just enough to cover the bottom. Optional: put small amount of melted butter in bottom of each mushroom cap; put leftover butter in bottom of pan.
- Fill caps with cream cheese/sausage mixture
- Bake 30-45 mins, or till tops are crusty and mushrooms have cooked
- Scoop out with slotted spoon and arrange on plate.
Notes: Cream cheese mix is also good on bread or crackers; come in handy for people who don’t like mushrooms (little to they know it’s also in the mixture!)
Also, I tend to eye out the breadcrumbs to sausage to cream cheese amounts. More sausage with less cream cheese makes a larger batch that’s not so rich.