This is another French Onion Soup recipe that I STRONGLY recommend making only if you have time… and patience…
Using about 12 large Onions that have to cook down, slowly, it makes a lot of soup and a very rich taste.
10-12 Mayan sweet onions
2 tablespoons thyme
2-3 Bay leaves
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
½ stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
2-3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ cup white cooking wine
½ cup red wine, burgundy
4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth (32 fl oz)
4 cups beef broth (32 fl oz)
Cheeses for toppings:
Finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
(1/2-inch-thick) diagonal slices of baguette (bread)
1. Cook onions, thyme, bay leaves, and salt in butter and olive oil in a large heavy pot over moderate heat, uncovered, stirring frequently, until onions are very soft and deep golden brown, about 45 minutes.
2. Add flour and sugars and cook, stirring, 1-2 minutes. Add wines and cook, 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups of reduced-sodium broth, and pepper and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 20-30 minutes. Once this reduces down, scrape bottom of pot while stirring onions with the spoon, then add another 1 1/2 cups of reduced-sodium broth and reduce down again. After this is done the onions should be super caramelized looking, add in the last cup of reduced sodium beef broth and the 4 cups of regular beef broth/stock, heat for an additional few minutes until soup is hot.
3. While soup simmers, put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Arrange baguette slice in 1 layer on a large baking sheet and toast, turning over once, until completely dry, about 10 minutes. Remove bread from oven and preheat broiler. Put crocks in a shallow baking pan.
5. Discard bay leaves from soup and divide soup among crocks, then float a baguette slice in each. Slice enough cheeses to cover tops of crocks(I used a little of each cheese because I love it) you can use a mix of cheeses, allowing ends of cheese to hang over rims of crocks, then sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano.
6. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until cheese is melted and bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Be careful when removing crocks from oven and baking sheet they are extremely hot!