I’m ashamed to admit I’ve never made homemade manicotti shells until NOW and also PUNCHING myself because it’s sooo darn quick and easy and makes stuffing the shells MUCH easier…
At any rate, I made this for a holiday party and it was a big hit! Very simple to do, so don’t be fooled by the long post.. there were 3 recipes involved!
Homemade Manicotti Shells
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- With a hand mixer, blend eggs, flour, water and salt. It will be very watery so don’t be alarmed!
- Lightly oil or spray a non-stick frying pan and heat over med-high.
- Using a dry measuring cup, spoon the batter into the middle of the pan. Quickly and carefully tilt the pan in a circular motion for the batter to form a thin, round ‘crêpe’.
- Cook 1-2 mins, until the shell surface appears dry, then carefully flip the shell over and cook for an addition 20-30 seconds.
- Stack cooked shells on a plate between wax or parchment paper for later use. No need to flour them (this actually makes them stick to the paper)
Chive Cream Sauce
- 8oz soft cream cheese, chive & onion flavor
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated romano or parmesan cheese
- In a small saucepan, melt cream cheese over med-low heat, stirring constantly.
- Add heavy cream, then cheese and stir till thick and smooth.
- If it’s too ‘cream-cheesy’ tasting, add a little lemon juice.
- 12 oz whole milk ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 1/2LB chicken – cooked and shredded
- 10 oz broccoli – cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion – chopped
- 1/2 cup grated romano – for mixture
- 1TB italian seasoning
- 2 cups grated romano or parmesan
- Saute onion in olive oil (or butter) until translucent, make sure it cools down before adding to mixture so it doesn’t cook the eggs!
- Mix all ingredients well, and prepared a buttered casserole dish for the shells.
- To assemble, take one of your shells and add a small amount of cheese to the center. Spoon a generous helping of the stuffing to the shell, fold like a burrito and place seam-down, into the baking dish.
- Repeat. repeat. repeat…
- Pour sauce over shells, sprinkle with remaining cheese, a few pinches of paprika and bake 350F for 30-40mins.